One year, for his birthday, I decided to put my new found quilling skills to the test. I had just learned how to do this papercraft from the internet a week before tackling this project. (If you want more info on the history or a descritption of what it is, I suggest you start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quilling)
So, for my very first full blown project, I decided to make a Lazlo head for Joe. See a pic of Lazlo below:

"HI! I'M LAZLO!"
So, in one of those rare moments of inspiration (that you always regret when you are still working on something around 3am) I decided that not only would I hand cut my paper to get the exact shades I needed, but that I would rig the mouth to move when you shake it up and down, hence, making him "talk".
Seven tries later, I finally achieved the mouth I was looking for by basically making to two pieces springs. Below is the finished project. Granted, it wasn't spectaular for a first try, but I thought it was close enough.
So, there you have it. Joe seemed pretty happy with it, and I learned that quilling something custom takes a freaking long time!

No comments:
Post a Comment