Friday, January 23, 2009

Personal Holiday Gifts

Here are just a couple of the gifts I was given permission to make for the employees here at the studio. These were both done on my own time, at my own expense.

So, here's a glimpse at what I made my first year here at the studio:

I hand made ornaments that were customized for each individual show. All toll, I made a grand total of 350 of these. They are hard plastic, and will probably last forever. I know this because they took forever to make. I started in October, and worked on them at home every night. I finished just before everyone left on vacation. I realized about two days into it that this was a huge project, but I am just a tad bit stubborn about finishing what I start, so there you have it.

I actually had people come up to me after I had given these out with offers to pay me for an entire set. I know people traded with each other for their favorite characters, and people were really happy with the final result. I will never ever do these again. I like to do this thing called sleeping on occasion, and didn't do much of for most of that December.

The next year, I remembered my problem from the previous year, and came up with a pretty awesome follow up gift (at least in my opinion). We'd had an anniversary party for the studio the previous year with a casino theme that I made some custom poker chips for...

(One of my interns set this up for me outside of my office)

Again, there were requests to purchase these, but we only made a limited number. Since everyone was so into these, I thought that custom dice might be the way to go for my gift to everyone...





These are just a few of the designs I did that year. Each show got it's own die, and again, the trading flurry began. Each creator got to choose the color he wanted for his/her show. All together, I did eight different dice. I have to say these look better in person, and everyone loved them.


The next year, we just had too many shows in production at one time for me to do anything this personalized again, sadly. The next year, I did peppermint scented India ink and personal feather quill, and this last year, I made art supply totes for everyone. (Both of which are pretty uninteresting pictures, so I'm skipping them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment