I've made quite a few costumes while I have worked at CN (and worn alot of them, in fact). However, my favorite had to be Scout Master Lumpus from Camp Lazlo.

That's me on the left as Juniper Lee (complete with pink stripe). I wish I had a better picture of the Lumpus on the right (face obscured to protect the innocent (lol)). This was a full scout uniform, complete with neckerchief. I also wish I had a pic of the back, since I embroided the Bean Scout logo by hand and it came out awesome. (Keep in mind I am super critical of my own work, so it's something I'm still proud of five years later.)
However, my favorite part of the outfit is that hat. I bought the actual scout master hat on line instead of driving myself crazy trying to make my own hat. I took a character sheet of Lumpus, blew it up, and actually used it as the pattern for the antlers. (I figured that you couldn't get more on model than that!) The curves on the original piece were a little too tight, so I resketched the pattern freehand, and then made small gathers on the interior of curves. Viola! (And STILL on model.)
The tricky part was how to attach them without damaging the hat. (Yes, I was a little overexcited, and didn't think it through.) However, I realized I had a piece of brown ribbon at home that would work perfectly...and my favorite costume piece was born. I just attached the antlers to the ribbon, and the ribbon around the hat. It actually helped keep them super stable.
There are pictures of some of my other costumes online. I'm not going to tell you where, but be on the look out for Chowder, Professor Princess (from Transformers animated) and Miss Doe (also from Camp Lazlo).
that is such a cool hat! :D
ReplyDelete